Saturday, September 18, 2010

First Steps



The first thing I do when starting a new project is to brainstorm in my sketchbook. It's not very pretty, usually done with whatever writing implement is within reach. This is just a conversation between me and myself. I tend to jot down word associations, references to photos or books I have, or I sketch a sort of shorthand of a composition. Sometimes I stick in images torn from magazines, or sticky notes written when inspiration stuck and my sketchbook was not around.



Sometimes I get as far as coloring in something, but that's rare since I do the bulk of the decision-making with actual fabrics and it's so difficult to replicate those kind of relationships in pencil or paint. This time it did work since the colors don't need to be specific at this point. We'll see where it goes from here...

1 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

It's always interesting for me to see how other artists process their ideas. Thanks for sharing.