Sunday, November 22, 2009

The one I didn't do

I have had such a hard time getting inspired to do a pink quilt. Sorry, but I just don't like pink, except in small doses. Last week when our STASH group visited quilt shops I bought this fat quarter.




It is a subdued pink—not too bubblegum or Barbie. I told Gerrie I was going to take it home and stare at it until something came to me. Then a few days later I drove up to meet some friends in North Portland (you may have read about it on my blog. It was the tour of Mississippi street) and I had to park a couple blocks off the main drag in a, shall we say, "transitional" neighborhood. Right across the street from where I parked was this sad, pink house.

My photo doesn't really show the full extent of it's peeliness and patchiness and sagginess, though if you look closely I think you can see that the address plaque on the door hangs at an angle. It was obviously many years ago that someone had the inspiration to paint it a precious combo of pink with aqua trim. Its grodiness really appealed to me and I got right to work drawing up a plan for it when I got home. But as I worked I could see that it was going to end up in fabric being "cute"—exactly what I did not want. Hmmmm. What to do?

I got sick the same day I was humming on where to go with this darn pink challenge and went to bed with a slight fever that night. I slept fitfully and dreamt, crazily, about making a pink quilt. At one point an old friend, an angel really, appeared in my dream, waving scissors and pointing me in an altogether different direction. When I awoke I had my new idea, goofy as it is. And I have to tell you that subdued pink is not going to work at all. Yesterday I went out and bought a nice garish bubblegum pink fabric. I have gone over to the pink side...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if that pink house was at one time a store front - corner entry - with living quarters on second floor.....

We are all waiting to SEE where you have "gone over".

Gerrie said...

You should have come to my house - I have lots of bubblegum pink! Not because I like it but because Mia went through a pink and purple stage.

Diane Perin said...

You sure, Gerrie? Maybe you secretly love bubblegum pink and Mia is just your excuse? It goes so well with lime green, you know... :-)

Karen said...

You've gone over to the other side. Those of us with good taste are waiting for your return :)