I guess you already know that I chose my fingerprint for my identity — actually, my thumb print. I had not seen other fingerprint quilts until I had finished mine. I became very intrigued by the patterns created by my thumbprint as I zoomed in closer and closer. I noticed that I had a scar which has altered my finger print. I reversed the thumbprint for two of the blocks because I like the additional patterning that was created by the juxtaposition of the reverse images. I hand-dyed fabric for this, and I tried to get the complements which would give it that pop art feel.
Here is a detail.
Here is my initial finger print using a stamp pad and my thumb.
I selected the least smudged version which I played with in Photoshop. I then zoomed in on the center of my thumbprint where the whorl is and created a stamp in the filters. I printed the pattern on Wonder Under which I fused to the upper fabric, and then I cut out the black pattern areas and fused the two colors.
I don't have an interesting story about my identity quilt. For me, it was more about the process of getting the thumbprint on fabric. This was a bit fussy to create, but I loved doing it. The machine stitching was easier than I thought it would be but I had to buy matching thread so that I would not interfere with the simple pattern created by the two colors.
We are twelve quilt artists who embarked on an art challenge together. We're from different places throughout the world and our artistic styles vary, but we share a love of art quilting and a desire to play, experiment, learn, and grow.
For four years (2007-2011), we each made a 12x12 inch quilted art piece on a designated theme or palette. See our Theme Series and our Colorplay series.
For the 2012 Series, we changed things a bit and made rectangular pieces, 20x12 inches with roughly 10 weeks between each challenge. As before, we had a designated theme for each challenge.
We shared our process, progress, and results on this blog. It remains a key record of our rich collaboration.