Saturday, June 28, 2008

Beginning

I played around with a bunch of metallic stuff yesterday. I also flipped through pages and pages of the St. John's Bible and even sketched several compositions. I am going through one of those periods where the idea is just barely bubbling to the surface but it has no real cohesiveness. I know I want to do some kind of illuminated page. But what form will it take? Must I actually use some kind of text? If so, what will it be? A biblical passage? How would I choose? A more contemporary source? What would it be?

I am reminded how much work art can be. The actual hours I spend "in the cloth" are minimal compared to the time it takes to come up with an idea that is worth pursuing. And let's not even talk about the time spent on failed ideas.

Here is all the metal stuff I dug out of various bins and boxes. I like using the foils and adhering them with Wonder Under.

100_5009

I even swiped a bit of foil from an art kit that Claire received as a gift.

I also found this delightful little assemblage on Etsy.

At this point, I am just asking myself, "Now what?"

1 comments:

Kristin L said...

I often wonder if I have really made something worthy when the actual artwork is done so quickly. I tend to discount the endless hours that led up to the making which count just as much, if not more.