Monday, April 30, 2012

What is a map?

I've just prepared my post for the maps reveal later today and I had a terrible thought that perhaps I had not addressed the theme. Gulp.  That got me thinking, what is a map?   According to Wikipedia:
A map is a visual representation of an area—a symbolic depiction highlighting relationships between elements of that space such as objects, regions, and themes.
Many maps are static two-dimensional, geometrically accurate (or approximately accurate) representations of three-dimensional space, while others are dynamic or interactive, even three-dimensional. Although most commonly used to depict geography, maps may represent any space, real or imagined, without regard to context or scale
Maps are a form of symbolization, governed by a set of conventions, that aim to communicate a sense of place. To fully understand a map it helps to know how to decode its message and place it within its proper spatial, chronological, and cultural contexts.    If cartography is a form of communication, the measure of a good map  is how well it conveys information to its readers to enlighten, convince, or persuade. It sounds a lot like art really and that is a comforting thought.  You are here.

4 comments:

Trouble said...

Haha! I love your conclusion. Have you read
Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking by Jill K. Berry. So many wonderful ways to make maps. She has opened my mind up to a whole new world. haha

Helen Conway said...

Not like you to be doing last minute thinking Brenda!!

Brenda Gael Smith said...

Some of my other designs were more "on theme" but I only had time to make one piece for this challenge.

Kristin L said...

Yay! Your conclusion matches my interpretation perfectly. I can rest easy that my piece is plenty "mappy" for our challenge.