Saturday, April 7, 2012

Strange Maps

 
I just love the Map theme for our current challenge (stay tuned!  Reveal date is May 1!).  My problem this time is that I've always been drawn to maps, have the start of a series of large maps quilts going, and have TOO MANY IDEAS.  Not that I'm complaining -- but settling on one, and sorting out how best to use the 12 x 20 inch format, is proving harder than I thought it would be!

I thought I'd share one of  my favorite interesting map sites:  A blog called Strange Maps.  There are all sorts of cool things there, including the world's largest world atlas, a socket map of the world (so if you are traveling you know what kind of adapter you need), a taxonomy of city blocks, where French artist Armelle Caron deconstructed the maps of various cities to create charts of city blocks by size (and creating fascinating and beautiful patterns), map tattoos ... and more and more and more.

It's definitely interesting and inspirational and gets you thinking about the breadth of what a map is!

0 comments: