Sunday, September 13, 2009

But December means ten...



There are twelve months in the year and twelve signs of the Zodiac. That seems like a good place to start a Twelve themed challenge. I was born in December, which also makes me a Sagittarius. Perfect tie-in, yes?

No. The root of December is not surprisingly, ten. It's the 12th month in the Gregorian calendar, but it's nomenclature relates to it's position as the tenth month in the Roman calendar.

Sagittarius is the star sign for November/December birthdays, but it's not the 12th sign. There is no beginning or ending to the star signs; no one to twelve order. And guess what? Sagittarius isn't even visible in the December sky, at least in the Northern Hemisphere where I live. It's an August constellation!

So, although December and Sagittarius are part of a group of twelve, neither one actually has much to do with twelve itself. I'm back to the drawing board for this challenge.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Bother!

Terry Grant said...

I don't care how you parse it, December is still 12 in my book!

Deborah Boschert said...

I'm also back to the drawing board after various considerations. Arg.

Gerrie said...

I know what I want to do, but won't have time to start until the end of the month.

Carol said...

12 little stars hanging from the sky - one says to the others "lets create our own constellation" :)

Metanoia said...

Aries is generally accepted as the first sign of the zodiac. That's me! ;)