Monday, March 1, 2010

Mt. Hood in Winter

This color scheme is a bit of a departure for me. While I love a good blue sky and crisp blue and white traditional quilts, I generally find myself hanging out in the warmer zones of the color wheel when I am working. So this was good. It felt clean and crisp and suitable to the season.

We have had a warmer and sunnier winter than usual this year, which has afforded us frequent views of Mt. Hood, the highest peak in Oregon and, on clear days, the spectacular backdrop to our city. Most winters the mountain is shrouded in cloudy gray and not visible to us for months at a time. There is an atmospheric effect that seems to magnify the mountain on cold, sunny days and it takes your breath away to turn a corner or come up over a rise to suddenly see it, seemingly, right in front of you. So I have known since the color theme was announced, exactly what my subject would be.

I combined two relatively new techniques for me in this piece. I am currently working on a large quilt for an invitational show and decided to use a fused fabric collage technique that I first saw used by fellow Twelve, Terri Stegmiller. It seemed like it might also work for my mountain in giving it a nice loose, but dimensional look. On top of that I "drew" in a loose, doodly way, in black thread. That provided the "little bit of black" to the otherwise totally blue and white piece. (well, there are some little yellow dots on one of the blue fabrics, but I am not counting those!)  The tree might give the impression that it is black on first glance, but it is composed from dark blue bits of fabric and stitched with black.

That tree, by the way, is a Douglas Fir, which is Oregon's state tree. So the whole thing is my valentine to my beautiful home state!

9 comments:

Karen said...

This is so great Terry, it's very cool looking and I agree it's not your usual palate. I love the fact you've used a technique from Terri's bag of tricks.

Kristin L said...

Mount Hood has never looked better! I love the contrast of the drawn lines and the complex but almost random shapes in the "color." It's a wonderful homage to Oregon.

Gerrie said...

I have seen this and I love how Terry has used the collage method to loosen up her work. I am so drawn to the black lines of Mt. Hood. It is stitching that looks like a hand drawn line. I just love it.

Diane Perin said...

Beautiful tribute to your home, Terry. This has a bit of old and new in it -- you have used the collaged effect well and it works beautifully -- subtle visual interest. The sketch lines of stitching are a change from your usual black outlines but I like the lightness they bring here -- there is a sense of lightness and clarity, like gazing out on a clear breezy day.

Dale Anne said...

LOVE this Terry!
The tree looks like it was screened onto the fabric, not stitched. I always LOVE seeing how simple black lines detail things.
FABULOUS!!!

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is so lovely Terry. It makes me yearn even more to be back in Oregon, my favorite state. Glad you have had as much fun as I have with this technique.

Nikki said...

I love the quilt. I have to admit that I have never seen Mt Hood from the city while in Portland. I must always catch those gray skies. (But I have seen it while heading east to Bend, so I know it's there.) We have a similar experience with Mt Rainier up here. It always takes my breath away when it pops up in unexpected places, looming over the landscape.

I love the power of the mountain contrasted against the Douglas Fir. The tiny bits of yellow remind me of stars sparkling in the sky, but we can call those just a different shade of white. Well done!

JB said...

Your piece has grown on me. At first glance it seemed not up to your usual wow factor, but now that I have look at it the next day, I see things I did not notice the first time. I like it!!

Françoise said...

This mountain is beautiful Terry. I've never been to Oregon and this makes me feel like going.
I like the blue foreground very much too.