Monday, March 1, 2010

It Was a Cold Winter's Night



How could I not get into my bin of indigo scraps for this challenge. It was a no brainer. And when, I say scraps, I mean scraps. I decided to go for a very scrappy, frayed edge land scape for this. The snowy area is a piece of shibori clamped silk that I had dipped in indigo. It was very pale and turned out to be the perfect snowy field. I cut strips of silk indigo shibori for the shadows of the fence.

Oh, and that fence! You will have to check out my blog to see what it once looked like. I had to sit and pick that thing apart and start over. I am so glad that I did. I then added in some of the wonderful indigo prints that Kristin gave me way back when she was living in Germany.

I am so happy with this piece because it reflects what I most love to do with my quilting now — the simple, abstracted landscape.

11 comments:

Kristin L said...

I love how my little scraps look like plants along the fence line. You re so right about the fence too -- it looks much more inviting and "fencier" since your re-do. Such a pretty little scene.

Dale Anne said...

I LOVE the bottom fabric, how it looks like the shadows of snow drifts.
GREAT JOB!!!

Diane Perin said...

A lovely peaceful scene. (This immediately makes me think of the Frost poem "Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening." This brings together some elements that are quintessentially you -- the simplified landscape imagery, the shibori, the indigo, the overlapping layers. It's lovely. It'd be fun to see a bigger version of this -- are you tempted?!

Terry Grant said...

That bit of indigo print behind the fence just "makes" this piece, in my opinion! I also love the change to the fence. It just has a much more solid fence-like presence. The foreground snow is perfect. Just a lovely peaceful work!

Linda Zimmerman said...

what a beautiful piece! i love the moon glow and how it is cast over the snow. lovely!

Karen said...

I really like the shadows created by the fence and whatever is behind it. Very magical

Shirley said...

This is a lovely quilt. I really like how you did the reflection and all in all, coming from Alberta, it
reminds me of home. I like your fence and am
intrigued by this piece. I think you did a great job!

Terri Stegmiller said...

This landscape reminds me of a cold North Dakota night with a full moon, very similar to what we had a couple nights ago. Well done Gerrie.

Jamie Fingal said...

Love this. The effect of the misty moon illuminating...just beautiful. It is so calming.

Nikki said...

Makes me snuggle up closer to my hot cup of coffee! Captures perfectly being out on the farm on a cold winter night. I feel the wind blowing and the icy snow under my feet. I love the quilt, but I have to admit that it make me appeciate the warm, sunny winter that we have been having.

Françoise said...

It really looks like a cold night. I like how you did the moon and the white rays.
Beautiful piece.