Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lollipop Forest



Thankfully, this challenge came together like a dream, because my family has definetly been plotting against me getting anything accomplished over the last two months. This was our first year in public school, so I had no idea how crazy the end of the year activities can be. Then throw in birthdays, vacation bible school, two camping trips and a spur of the momment trip to Portland to buy an Airstream trailer (I wish there had been time to see you Gerrie and Terry), and I feel like I'm at a carnival desperately keeping all the rides going. I never realized how easy it was when they were little. Now, all I want is a little time alone to create. Luckily, I was able to find it a few minutes at a time.

I've had the idea for these quilts in my mind for months, based on some mini quilts I created for Art-O-Mat. I wanted to put them together to create something larger than 2"x3". I started with a plain white piece of fabric and quilted it like crazy with circles and spirals. I would get lost in the process and the whirl of the machine would block out the chaos of the family. Next I brought out the paints and painted the circles purple and the spirals yellow. The paint was very watery so the colors blended wonderfully. I then added fabric paper circles and free motions stitching. The edges are finished with deep purple yarn, couched with gold thread. I just love the energy of the contrasting colors and rich texture, and the swirling circles are very much my life right now.

I had lots of quilted and painted fabric created for this project just waiting to be played with, so I quickly threw together this flower quilt. Our summer has been slow coming in the Pacific Northwest, so it is a reminder that summer blooms are on the way!

12 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

I love both of these Nikki. But I think the Lollipop Forest is my favorite. It has such a whimsical quality and the lollipops appear to be dancing. It puts a smile on my face.

Cate Rose said...

I especially love the Lollipop Forest, Nikki. The color gradations each way are terrific.

Deborah Boschert said...

So fun! I love the effect of the background quilting and the fact that you painted after it was quilted and then did the applique after it was quilted and painted! I like that you used only purple and yellow too.

Terry Grant said...

Love the energy of the lollipops! Your work is always so optimistic and reflects, I am guessing, an upbeat personality. You have achieved wonderful textures in both pieces, as well as incredible color. I love them both, but especially the lollipops. That rich bronze-y yellow along the horizon gives it such depth.

Karen said...

I like them both Nikki, and the quilting is beautiful, it really makes the difference in these pieces.

Diane Perin said...

These are both so fun and playful, Nikki! I know that one of the benefits of using complementary colors together is that they do provide a sense of energy from the contrast, but the design and use of stitching really has a happy sense. Maybe the fun and activity of your summer has worked their way into these pieces!

Gerrie said...

I am definitely walking through a lollipop forest. The quilting change in the two background colors is very effective. It is just fun and whimsical.

Françoise said...

I like both quilts, but the first one is my favourite. So cheerful. A lollipop forest! My three boys would have loved this!

Maeve said...

Purple and yellow is my absolute favorite color combo when I am quilting. These two quilts are over the top gorgeous and fun! I like them both equally, they just pop!

Kristin L said...

Definitely happy quilts. The energy in the lollipop forest is super!

Anonymous said...

love both of these but that lollipop forest is really fun!

Unknown said...

As I approach my court in Burnley there is a small wind farm. I enjoy seeing the turning arms of the wind mills because they seem to be waving at me. Both your quilts remind me of that wind farm for some reason and give sme the same cheery welcome to the day feeling . I particularly like the way the flowers on the second one are not contained exactly in the squares.