Sunday, July 19, 2009

Finished

Last night I put the final stitches in my "Passion" piece. I like how it turned out, but I am still not entirely satisfied by how I finally chose to portray "passion". Passion is such a big word and should bring up very strong and personal feelings and experiences, I kept thinking. In a way I stepped back from that personal connection and went for someone else's passion. But perhaps being moved by another's passion inspires passion in ourselves.
I almost want to make another one, but I probably won't. If I did it would be a heart, filled with complex color and texture. I know a heart is a trite motif, but it is one I revisit and always love. I create a valentine every year and always include a heart. Here is one of my favorites from quite a few years back.

5 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love that heart. I think you were very astute about distancing yourself from portraying your personal passion. I took a kind of silly route. Not sure it screams passion, but I think the title will add the punch line.

Lzyjo said...

Terry, I love your work. I can't wait to see the finished Passion piece. You're right Passion has such a complex meaning. I love that Valentine heart, it's so cute, it almost reminds me of Shaker art.

Oh, just so you know how your visitors find you, I found the 12 by 12 through SAQA, I've been subscribed to this blog for a few months, but I've never commented before. I'm a huge fan!! Though just a beginner myself.

Kristin L said...

I too stepped away from the personal, and am second guessing myself. My runner-up design is pretty time consuming though, and I'm kind of tired of doing multiples. I'm sure your heart would be wonderful if you chose to do one, but I'm just as excited to see what you did create.

Brenda said...

I'd love to get a valentine like this - anytime.

Diane Perin said...

You have a strong ability to take something ordinary or cute and make it your own in a way that makes it extraordinary and NOT cute, just beautiful and srong. This heart is fabulous -- can't wait to see what your actual piece is, Terry!