Sunday, July 29, 2012

Ariadne's Thread, Finished

I finally finished my Myth submission. The first thing I did was to machine quilt a small meander between the couched lines of silk yarn. That made the yarn stand out a bit more, but still not enough contrast for my liking. As I worked on this piece, I really liked the bits of gold thread that were spun into the yarn, so I played up on that by brushing the center of the piece with gold paint and a little shimmery powder to make it glow. I hope that it is enough to give what had been reading as a rather flat, monotonous, surface some focus. I bound the quilt in the standard fashion, as it seemed to need a wall of some sort to contain it. So, better late than never, my Myth quilt. Now to contemplate Maverick, which has me leaning towards cattle...

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

The gold paint in the center is perfection. I just love the whole piece. It's a bit of a departure for you -- only two fabrics in the entire piece! Those stitches make me think a bit of a wound stitched up and those red areas even suggest blood or raw openings. But, not in a gross or distasteful way in the least. Wandering through a labyrinth can be painful and damaging. I can imagine getting cut up a bit.

Terry Grant said...

That glowing center is perfect. Such a simple piece, yet so much meaning. Seemingly simple, I should have said. I love the texture and changes in the line. As Deborah said, it suggests some struggle, some rough going through parts of the labyrinth and makes me want to follow it slowly into the center.