Saturday, December 12, 2009

A rose in autumn

When we decided to work on a "Colorplay" series, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to just do that: play with colours, and experiment with different surface design processes, and not worry too much about the meaning of my quilts.
But almost as soon as Diane said "pink", I thought "rose", (pink in French). And an epicurean poem by Pierre de Ronsard kept coming to my mind... "Mignonne, allons voir si la rose...", where he compares the brevity of youth to the fragility of a rose.
In the meantime, I stuck to my idea of simply experimenting with colours and surface design, not willing to embark on philosophical and complicated thoughts about my age, my growing children, my wrinkles, my cute granddaughter, my emptying nest...
I held on and I started to screenprint fabric with pink and turquoise dyes. I experimented and played on the design wall with the resulting fabrics ... One of the pieces I got made me think of fading rose petals...
Then, one day I found a tiny pink rosebud in the garden. I took a few pictures, burned two screens, and decided to incorporate it into my quilt.
But you know, I just made a pink quilt. And I like it.
More detail pictures on my blog.

7 comments:

Karen said...

And you should like it, it's beautiful. The rose is a great addition, and I really like the upper center which looks like a flower opening up.

Gerrie said...

Love this. Very Francoise in a new color way. I do like the rose print - very beautiful

Diane Perin said...

This feels like a surprise to me, Francoise -- different from your pieces last time around, but so beautiful. I love the texture -- there is a sense of playing with color but the rose really does add something.

(Your reference to that poem flashes me back to my high school french class, where we had to read that very one! I'd not thought of that in years!)

Kristin L said...

As much as you were "just playing," it really does work on a conceptual level. The deconstructed printing reflects the idea of fading beauty from the poem. The little rose bud is just the right amount of visual trigger.

Terri Stegmiller said...

This has wonderful color and texture. Am I understanding correctly that the color was added to the fabric just from screen printing? The addition of the rose image is the perfect touch.

Terry Grant said...

Oh, this is lovely! I just love how the color layers and blends so subtley and then the bits of white make it crackle with freshness and movement. The rose is the little surprise I see after I've enjoyed that marvelous play of color.

kirsten said...

I agree, the rose bud is just the right amount of rose! And I am very drawn to the column of blue/purple on the left. "Crackle" is a great word, Terry, to describe the liveliness here!