Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Window of Opportunity

They say that "timing is everything" in life. Knowing when the time is right is one thing, recognizing a brief period where everything could come together quite perfectly is another. And then leaping through that "window of opportunity"—buying the house before the interest rates jump, crossing the street before the big trucks bear down on you, saying "I love you" before the train pulls away and the opportunity is lost forever—could change the course of your life.
When the theme was announced I knew that I wanted to use the theme of windows in the metaphoric sense. Windows, as a source of light, especially sunlight, are such great symbols for opportunity and hope. There is a phrase that goes, "when God closes a door, He opens a window." Those windows of opportunity keep us going through the hardest times.
I have been making 2" blocks from scraps for a couple of years and just recently started putting them together in quilts. This piece is the third such combination of my little blocks. I felt the black background needed some texture, so I did a lot of hand stitching, which I hope is visible in the photo. It does add a lot to the piece, but honestly, it was a pain to do.

11 comments:

Karen said...

I though so long about using that phrase, but I couldn't come up with anything. Your piece captures it very well,and I like all those black and white angles and shapes

Deborah Boschert said...

I knew this was you right away, Terry. You have found such wonderful ways to set your two inch pieces. Fantastic. I love the varying density of the hand stitching. Great job.

Dolores said...

What a great little piece and I love all the hand stitching. I'm glad you added it.

Diane Perin said...

It's funny --- for all my "window" thinking, this expression never entered my mind. But it is a very evocative one, and I love how you've chosen to illustrate it.

Your tiny quiltlets make a very strong composition, and I love the burst of color and excitement from that vibrant one.

Terri Stegmiller said...

I love this Terry! First, the idea of using up your scraps and ending up with something so attractive is wonderful. I love the colors you have used and your "timing is everything" message really makes one stop and think.

Anonymous said...

Fancy two of us thinking of the same phrase, albeit from different angles and with very different products. As usual, Terry, I find your work immensely appealing. The neatness, the colour, the composition - all perfect.

PAMELA said...

Your piece is divinity in a pure sense. Your B&W work, with a little window of colour is magnificent. A little treasure.

Gerrie said...

Since I have seen this in person, I will just add that I, too, love how you have incorporated these little pieces into your work. I will attest to the beauty of the handstitches. I love looking at all our bits and pieces of fabric.

Kristin L said...

It's so fun to see you working abstractly Terry. There's no doubt this is your piece though. it has your refined sensibility. The one colored square definitely says "look at me, I'm an opportunity not to be missed."

Françoise said...

Wonderful! Love all these little squares made of tiny scraps. Very pretty. I too knew it was you when I first saw it.

Frederique said...

What a lovely piece of art! I just love it, so beautiful.