Monday, February 18, 2008

Community?

This is a tricky one for me!
Here are the few thoughts I had since Kristin gave us her theme...
I first thought of the nice little neighbourhood where I live. When the children were younger, they were going from house to house, playing together and having fun. In the afternoon, the mothers used to sit on the benches near the communal sandbox, chatting while watching their toddlers. But now, most of the kids are teenagers or young adults, the mothers are working again and no one is playing in the sandbox anymore... This is a bit sad, but this is life.
Then there are other things I thought about: schools my children went to, ethnic groups and minorities, religious and philosophical communities, blogland of course. And, living in Belgium, I could not ignore our linguistic communities with their loads of problems.
Today I played with a picture of my chocolate quilt, and created this image... I think it looks exactly like a dissolving community...

3 comments:

Kristin L said...

Like I said on your blog, I like the imagery on this one and it's openness to individual interpretations. What I didn't realize was that although I recognized the house as "yours," I did not recognize that it was taken from the chocolate quilt. I don't know that it has much to do with "community," but I am drawn to the continuity of using one quilt in the series as the jumping off point for the next.

jpsam said...

This is wonderful -- both as an image and as an approach! I think this challenge is very challenging!
joan

Terri Stegmiller said...

Like Kristin, I wouldn't have realized that this was from your chocolate quilt. I really like the ghost-like images of the house shape repeating throughout.