Here is what I did. I first scanned some indigo shibori and turned it to chocolate colors. This became my background. I then took photos of some Valentine candy. Me, being me, the candy did not stay uneaten for long. So, I decided to take photos of the aftermath. I then put on some nice red lipstick and kissed a piece of paper and scanned it. These photos and the lips were photoshopped to give them less of a "photo" look. I then collaged everything in Illustrator.
I ironed some silk charmeuse to freezer paper. The first piece printed quite well, but I didn't like the result. It was on a grid and the quilting just didn't work. So I set up the shibori background to be all linear and not in a grid and reprinted. I kept getting little bits of stray black ink on the fabric. After 3 tries, I gave up and went to bed last night feeling quite weary and upset.
As often happens to me, the problem became and epiphany. I knew why I was not liking the piece, and I knew that the solution would camouflage the ink stains. I made some thermofax screens of the words, chocolate, love, bittersweet and chocoholic. I printed lips in lots of different sizes on organza. Then I went to work adding lips and words, and I came up with a piece that makes me smile and that I am not embarrassed to share with everyone. It still has little bits of drips and doodles that I wish were not there, but the overall design seems to hide them.